Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Post #1

So I'm now here in South Africa, just a little about the place. I'm in Grahamstown, which is in the Eastern Cape. It is a very nice town and the university sits at one end. The town backs right up to the campus and has a very nice high street which has plenty of restaurants, shopping, banks, etc. At one end of the high street is a massive cathedral, and at the other is the Rhodes clocktower, it looks pretty impressively laid out.

I arrived 1 week before classes started and got to know the place and the rest of the international students, many of whom I still see on a daily basis. After one week, I moved into my permanent residence, Graham House, and the people here have been really awesome. You get a lot closer to the others in your dorm than you do in America, and we eat together and generally play rugby/cricket/soccer every day.

I still feel like I haven't really gotten to see much of Africa, you can get very sheltered here in Grahamstown, but hopefully we'll be traveling to Port Elizabeth next week for a rugby tournament in which Rhodes will be playing, and then again the next weekend to Durban for some professional rugby when the Boks play the Wallabies in the Tri-Nations.

No comments: